One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is that after feasting it is socially acceptable to listen to Christmas music. I know some of you think that is way too early, but if I had my way, we’d listen to it all year round, because I love it. Oh go ahead, roll your eyes, but most Christmas songs are about love, kindness, and fun – and why shouldn’t we have that in all seasons? So when I’m boss of the world. you’ll be hearing these songs sporatically throughout the year, not in constant rotation, but occasionally to keep your spirits up. Are you ready for my top 10 Christmas Song List?
1. Snoopy’s Christmas I love the Royal Guardsmen version the best, but honestly, anyone will do. Why do I love it? It is all about me! It mixes both sides of my family. American and German, Snoopy WWI Flying Ace is hands down, my favorite Snoopy. The Red Baron, who wen’t on to make some of the best pizza to come out the Fatherland, forces Snoopy to fly to the Rhine, exactly where my German family is from. See, all about me.
2. Christmas is going to the dogs The Eels. I like singing this with Dash, obviously.
3. Heat Miser – Big VooDoo Daddy. First anything that Big VooDoo Daddy does is awesome. and Heat Miser, who has always reminded me of a chunky Sting from the movie Dune, and Snow Miser are also awesome.
4 Mr Grinch. Looking at this list, did you think that Mr Grinch wasn’t going to make the cut? Plus Tony the Tiger sings it.
5. Silent Night - A rare religiousy choice. I picked the Mannheim Steamroller version, because I think it is the prettiest. When I was young we went to Oberndorf Austria, where Silent Night written. It is probably one of the most beautiful places I ever been too. It’s a town nestled in the Alps, and you can believe that fairy tales really happened there, with the good endings – not the creepy ones. It’s the first time I understood how enviroment can influence art. Such a beautiful place would inspire such a beautiful song. Checkout the chapel Webcam
6. The Christmas Song – the Raveonettes Actually I like all of the Christmas songs that the Raveonettes, but this is my favorite. Check out Christmas Ghosts and Christmas in Cleveland too. Dammit, after listening to Christmas Ghosts I wonder if it’s my favorite.
7. Jingle Bell Rock – Billy Idol. Okay, I admit it, when I watch this I smile and giggle like a teen, Heaven help me, I still love him. when his Christmas CD came out, I got 6 copies in the mail.
8. I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus Some people say that Daddy was dressed as Santa Claus, I call bullsh*t on that, Mommy is a big old ‘ho trickin’ for pressies. I like this one for the debate.
9. All alone at Christmas – Darlene Love and the E Street Band. This is on your list too, it has to be.
10. Christmas, Baby please come home – U2 – although I like the Darlene Love version too.
Notice Blue Christmas is not on the list, that’s because I could not find Elvis singing it on youtube. I’m from Tennessee, so the Elvis version is the only one I recognize.
Getting this list to 10 was hard, and I left off songs I truly love, but if I would have listed all my favorites, well the list would go on and on …I would Christmas you out.
Fill me in on your Christmas tune!